East Sussex County Council
Adaptations to Ninfield Primary School
Faithorn Farrell Timms were appointed by East Sussex County Council (ESCC) in October 2017 to provide quantity surveying services for a project at a local primary school.
Ninfield Primary School needed to replace two existing classrooms housed in a temporary modular building as after many years’ service this building had reached the end of its useful life. Adaptations and improvements were also required to the existing school to provide better teaching facilities and new and extended external play and learning areas.
The project comprised:
- Adaptations to an existing Year 3 classroom
- Relocate play equipment and zip wire park from the adjacent public play area to create the space for the proposed works
- Construct temporary playground and first section of the external works
- Create a safe route to temporary playground
- New classroom building
- Adaptations to an existing Year 2 classroom
- Removal of the existing mobile classrooms
- Complete the external works including construction of the new MUGA
- Complete external works to the adjacent play area and reinstate ground
- Adaptation works to the existing school hall
In our role as Quantity Surveyors, for both the initial works and the complete project, we were responsible for checking the interim valuations, the valuing and agreement of variations and financial control of the project through the production of monthly cost reports.
Ninfield Primary School occupies a compact site and the key issue was for the school to remain working as usual while the building works were carried out. We worked closely with the architect to consider the possible options and to develop a sequence of works to enable the project to be completed with the school remaining fully operational. This was key to the success of this project and we documented this in the tender documents.
Our first activity was to provide a feasibility estimate in conjunction with the project Architect. As the design developed, we produced a detailed elemental cost plan using historical cost data, Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) data and on-line and pricing book information.
Following our client’s approval of the proposed works, we provided cost consultancy assistance throughout the procurement and planning process. During construction, the school decided they would like to add in the conversion of the existing Library to a quiet room. We agreed the value of this extra work.